Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tomboy No More

So we started a slow pitch softball team at work.
It's been about 8 years since I played softball, so I was really excited to get to play ball again. I remember how much fun it was when I was growing up - I loved to get dirty and sweaty (my tomboy tendencies), and I never really had any fears of getting hurt back then.
Times have changed.
Somewhere along the way, I got scared of the ball. I learned this fact a few days ago when hubby was hitting grounders at me in our back yard. It just seemed so unnatural to willingly stand in the path of a hard-hit flying object.
And I think I've figured out the difference between my thought process now and my thought process 8 years ago: I now have to pay my own doctor/dentist bills. And that's not cheap. I can no longer take a line drive to the head on my parents' tab.
Somewhere along the way, I became a wuss. A cheap, cheap wuss.

6 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Naw......You just became more aware that it hurts to have to heal. Also that medical expenses like gas prices seem to rise at amazing rates.
Hey have fun with life.....

L8TR
Chris

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Pheebs said...

that's like when you start buying your own groceries as a ghetto university student: generic brands and President's Choice (do you guys have that in the USA?) please! Mr. Christie...way too bling for a modest budget...hahahahah

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

I have always been afraid of the ball. Which is why I make the most terrible athlete.
Besides the fact that I have never been in shape.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh lord...I would get hit in the face...I know I would. i can't catch for shit.

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

No, you're not a wuss at all. Most of us get to a point in our lives that we realize we aren't bullet-proof, it takes three times as long to heal and we are actually mortal.

I look back of the things I did as a teenager then an adult in my twenties and shudder and ask; "Did I really DO that? What the f**k was I thinking?"

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I think it's probably more that you aren't a kid anymore and that you are in dependent on yourself and so that's one of the parts of growing up is making decisions on, "is it worth it"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home