Friday, April 28, 2006

Hi, My Name Is...Sicka Sicka Slim Tiffany

Starting a new job is never easy.
It's difficult meeting all new people, figuring out exactly where you fit in socially, and learning everybody's names.
When I first started my job(4 years ago), my then-supervisor somehow got it in her head that my name was Tiffany. Not a huge deal at first; she was old and I was initially understanding.
But after a few weeks, when she still hadn't learned my name, I became a bit annoyed. So I told her that my name was actually not Tiffany and that I preferred to be called by my real name, Courtney.
Her response was shocking.
"Well you look like a Tiffany, so I'm just going to call you that."
Now Maureen, that's not really nice is it?
You can't just go around changing people's names on them.
But she did. For the entire two year period that she served as my supervisor, she called me Tiffany. And in turn, I still refer to her as Ursula.


(OK, so I'm lying about calling her Ursula, but she totally referred to me as Tiffany. Come to think of it, I should have shortened it and asked her to call me "Tiff" instead. I kind of like that...)

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger berly02 said...

You should have called her Ursula. And then for Christmas give her little mermaid presents. You know, lunch pail with the ocean scene where she gets gigantic. One where her little pets get fried. etc.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I had a lieutenant on the police department I'd call a different name every day, just to drive him nuts...

But in this case it's a little different. Sounds like an clear cut case of early-onset adult dementia.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

There is a girl at work named Halad (pronounced like Salad with an H) and everytime I said her name, i had to think of how to say it first. One day I actually called her Salad to her face.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home