Monday, March 31, 2008

Goodbye Mid-20's

Uh oh - so that dreaded day is almost upon me...the one where I can no longer claim myself to be a "mid-20."
Dun Dun DUUUUNNN!!!
For awhile, I wasn't really happy about turning 28. I've been noticing "smile lines" around my eyes recently. There's even the hint of one atop my forehead. People think it their right to know exactly why it is that you haven't yet mothered a child. You hear the words, "biological clock" when people speak in reference to you.
These are all not-so-good facts of getting older.
But I think age 27 was a milestone year for me.
I stepped out of my comfort zone for the first time in a long time, and changed jobs/offices. I learned how to speak in front of groups of people without being nervous. I learned to say "no" when asked to do things that I didn't want to do. I learned not to offer up an immediate apology when aforementioned "no" response was invoked. I got into a bathing suit and didn't suck in my stomach.
That's right, world, I have a touch of a lower abdomen pooch, and if you don't like it - don't look. (It's now my belief that a small pooch is kind of endearing even!! LOL)
I'm learning that it's ok to put your feelings first in some situations. I'm learning that you can't control others' emotions/reactions, but you can control your own. I'm learning that you don't always need approval from others - that sometimes your own approval is the most important of all. And I'm learning that it doesn't make you a bad person to know what you deserve and to not accept anything less.
So if this is what it is to be "late-twenties," then I say bring it on!!

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I actually look forward to getting older. I turned 28 last year and I feel the same way. I don't really care about what others say as much and get nervous about speaking to people. And the part on putting yourself first, I completely agree. Let them live their lives. They can't live yours and if you let them, they almost take away some of yours.

Since Justin and I own our own business, our customers like it more when the person that comes out the their home is older. When we first started our business 5 yrs ago, it was hard for them to trust what he was saying b/c he looked so young, eventhough he had been doing drywall repair for 10 yrs.

I have also noticed that it is alot more fun to hang out with people a little older then you. I feel like I have more in commen with them. All of the people that I know that are 25 and younger are just in another stage in life and so when I talk to them, it's almost as if they don't get what I'm telling them. The way I see it is.....don't live in the past. Look forward to the future, you can't go back in time so why frustrate yourself. Great post.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger The Shib said...

I am most proud of you grasshopper. As of late, you are quite wise indeed.
Come to San Francisco ho!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home