Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wanted: 24 Hour On-Call Nanny

So I finally got to go see my Berly this weekend and hang out a bit with her family. That's right I said FAMILY. She has an entire family. Which is so bizarre and wonderful all at once. Kev and I finally met Alivia, who was so cute in a leopard print hat and pants! She's adorable, and she's one of those one in a gazillion babies that doesn't cry very much. At least she didn't on Saturday...
What amazed me the most was how natural Alan and Kimberly were as parents. Alivia hiccupped - I (naturally) freaked out, thinking that this was a sure sign that she would spontaneously combust at any moment; Alan laughed at me and assured me that Alivia was just fine; Kimberly added in the fact that babies hiccup approximately 4 hours per day.
OK.
I thought new parents were supposed to be nervous! But they weren't - they were old pros at this whole parenting thing. How does that happen? Berly explained it with the "everything I need to know, I learned at the hospital" explanation. Evidently, they give you a "parenting crash course" before they send you on your way into the world with child.
Thank goodness. You talk about somebody furiously and franticaly scribbling down notes on their way out the hospital doors! That would be me!
"I'm sorry maam - I missed the part where you were talking about what to do when your daughter first mentions that she wants to go on a date!"
I wonder if the Super Nanny charges a retainer fee to be on 24 hour call...

3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger honkeie said...

I must be one of the lucky ppl, none of my 3 sons cried very much. Hell WeeMan who is now 3 didnt cry until he was almost a year old. Now dont think that is normal, most are not like mine. It must have something to do with my manliness.......or the fact I just got very very very lucky hahaha.
And dont listen to those parenting coachs, they are just telling you how 'they' think your child should be raised. Hell they were totally agaist me using heavy metal as luluby music.....boy were they wrong. Cheese loves him some Korn right before nighty time!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

We all knew that Berly was going to be a fantastic mom!!! I'm so happy for them!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I was so glad to have my sister in law living in the same city as me when my first was born. I was so clueless. But certain things did come naturally that I thought woudln't so I guess that some of it just comes out naturally. Though, those books, like What to expect before and after are great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home