Friday, September 07, 2007

Metaphor

I throw myself in to things. My current obsession is running. I'm sure I've mentioned it more than once on here...
Anyway, I joined a running group a few months ago and we're training right now for the Houston Marathon (well, half marathon in my case) in January. We started off at 3 miles and progressed each week. Last week was the 8-mile run. Eight miles.
When I first started running, I would have laughed out loud if somebody had told me I'd be running 8 miles without stopping. I'm not a traditional runner, and that amount seems ludicrous to me. But each week builds upon the last, and each Saturday run gets a little bit longer.
I was looking at the training schedule, and in less than a month, I'll do my first 10-mile run. It seems overwhelming to think of running 10 miles all at once, so I have to focus on getting through this Saturday's run. And then next Saturday's run. And I know that eventually, I'll get there.
I've finally come to realize that running is the perfect metaphor for life. Baby steps, and with the right preparation, nothing is out of reach. Every move builds upon the last. Sometimes injuries set you back, but there's always time to make up for lost ground. Or if not, there's always another race waiting for you. You just have to set your goals and go after them. And the most important thing is being surrounded by people who go with you and encourage you along the way. I love that about running. I love it about life.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger The Shib said...

Oh my Co. You are so deep.

No really though. You know what I was thinking a couples of months ago is that I run like I live. Kind of clumsy and plodding through but Im constant.

Anyhow welcome to the club.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger honkeie said...

I need to get into this 'running' thing. I just hate doing it lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home