Thursday, April 03, 2008

Letter to my Younger Self

I've been reading this book that my friend Lisa sent me titled, "What I Know Now - Letters to my Younger Self."
This book is amazing, insightful, inspirational - all that good stuff.
It really gets you thinking about where you've come from, what you've been through, and where you're going. I'm only 28 years old, and hopefully I have a long way to go, but obviously it's made me think about the letter that I would write to my younger self.
Looking back, I have to say that I would tell my 17-year-old high school self to:

a) Stop worrying so much about what other people think. Be yourself - act goofy, be silly, shake your booty on the dance floor, girl. People may judge you, but at least you'll have fun while they're doing it.
b) Branch out. Softball is not all there is. Neither is volleyball. It's not going to be your career. It's not going to pay your way through college. It's not the end of the world if you have a bad game. Stop being so hard on yourself.
c) Let's face it - you've got bad hair, crazy bangs, thick eyebrows and braces. It's a transitional period, and it will get better. Hang in there!! But also, pluck those 'brows, Co. Seriously.
d) Stop being so mean to your parents and brother. They really do have your best interest at heart, and they're going to be there for you time and time again when you need them. Cherish those relationships.
e) You can't control things. So relax and let life play out the way it will. The best is yet to come!!

Hmmm...I wonder what my letter to my 28-year-old self will look like ten years from now...

3 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

Good advice, to your younger self. I would have said the same thing, but instead of the volley ball and soft ball, it would have been band. I stayed in band way too long to satisfy my parents when I wanted to do something completely different. I didn't do it my senior year and it was the best year in high school.

I would have also told myself to stop letting my sister push me around and to kick her ass when I held it back. Man I wish I could have done that instead of letter her push me around and to see the look on her face after I did it, not caring what the consequences where.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger The Shib said...

I think I would have said people will like you just because you are you. In fact that very "youness" is what will be the draw later.

Although I didnt figure that out till I was 27.
But it would have saved me alot of time. And pretending to be what Im not.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Sounds like a good book and a good thing for all of us to do. I thought of writing a book called, "Everything I Know About Love I Learned From My Divorce." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home