Thursday, January 13, 2005

Little Mary Lou

I have a request from my friend, Amy, to tell a story and lighten the mood a bit from yesterday's post. I've decided to grant this request...
So about two years ago, Kevin and I went with my brother, Craig, and his girlfriend, Felicia, to Astroworld. After we got there, I saw that they had the bungee cord trampoline thingy, (it's the trampoline that you can jump on while you have a bungee cord harness strapped to you so that you can jump really high in the air without much effort) and being that I had wanted to try this out for as long as I could remember, I was very excited.
Felicia and I get in line for the trampoline, while Kevin and Craig watch from a distance. As I'm waiting, I begin to watch this tiny little girl that's jumping. This kid is good. I'm talking Mary Lou Retton / Carly Patterson status. She's jumping at least 25 feet in the air and doing triple front flips and double back flips with the greatest of ease. A crowd literally forms to watch her tricks. I can't even begin to express to you how easy she makes this thing look. So much, in fact, that she has me truly believing that I, too, will transform into Mary Lou Retton when I put on the harness.
Tiny Mary Lou finally finishes with her turn, and I get on the trampoline and strap on the harness. And as I'm jumping higher and higher into the air, I happen to look down and notice that the crowd has not yet dispersed. I'm a bit nervous at this point, but I'm still thinking that doing flips will be easy, so I continue jumping.
When I finally get up to maybe 15 feet, I decide that it's time to try my first back flip. I'm in the air, feet off the trampoline, and I try to swing my legs back over my head. My feet get about even with my chest, and that's it. I fall back to the trampoline on my back. Oh, the shame of it all! So I'm a little disheartened, and a little embarrassed, but I'm thinking that I'll be better at front flips.
I get up some height to my jump again, and this time I try the front flip. Now keep in mind that Mary Lou was doing three of these things from the time that her feet left the trampoline to the time that she hit her peak of about 25 feet. I go, and from the time that my feet left the trampoline to the time that they land again on the trampoline, I do one sad little flip. And even at that, I land on my knees on the trampoline. I'm clearly not a gymnast. But I'm ambitious, and I'm still thinking that I'll get better at this. So I try the flip again, but this time I don't even have enough momentum to kick my feet over my body, and I end up stuck in the harness in the upside-down position. I hit my neck on the trampoline, and then the bungee cord pulls me up while I'm still in the upside-down position, so I'm just kind of suspended there, looking up at the ground. I'm freaking out now. Everything seems to be in slow motion, and I'm realizing that people are still watching this. So I try to look to Kevin (while I'm still upside down, keep in mind) for some support during this trying time, and though my vision is a bit distorted, I can clearly make out Kevin, Craig and Felicia pointing and laughing at me. They didn't even try to hide their laughter for me. I felt so alone, and also a little bit like Lucille Ball. It was a sad moment in my life...
Needless to say, I didn't finish my turn. As soon as I was able to get my feet back on the trampoline, I ditched the harness and got out of there asap! I think I might have some emotional scars to this day.

3 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Michael P. said...

You're right... something like that can scar a person. hehe. I tried one of those things one time, I sucked at it.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger berly02 said...

Courtney,
Did you know you are beautiful in every way?
Even when you land not so gracefully.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Believe me, Berle, I was not beautiful that day :) Although I was pretty entertaining, according to Kevin, Craig and Felicia...
But thank you for your lovely comment!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home