Monday, June 27, 2005

On a More Serious Note...

I forgot to mention my experience on the way up to Kerrville.
We had stopped to put flowers on my grandma's grave in Columbus, and being that the cemetery where she's buried is really old, I always find it interesting to look at and read all the different headstones (is that twisted?)...
Anyway, one of the headstones that Felicia and I found said the following:
"No hope of Heaven, no fear of hell. Superstition was not his religion. He represented kindness and sought justice."
He sounded like a good person who just never found God...
And forgive my naivety for a moment, but I always wonder about what happens to good people who aren't necessarily religious. Do you think they go to hell?
I think about how people are a product of their environment. If you're not raised to be religious and you die before you have a chance to find your own beliefs, are you held accountable? Because what if that same person had had the opportunity to live longer and, with time, found religion. Is it fair that some people are given such a long time and so many chances to find God, and some people die prematurely without having had so many chances?
Is that a stupid question?

5 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger The Shib said...

I guess it depends on what you believe.

I think if a person lived a life where he was following in the footsteps of Jesus he wouldnt die and have someone say---nope---you forgot to say I accept you as my savior--take the left staircase to hell.

Because on some level whether he knew it or not--he was living the way he was supposed to. Whereas a lot of people call themselves christians and are certainty assured a place in heaven but have lived a lesser life.

This from the church drop out.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I appreciate the thoughts of a fellow church drop out. This is a matter that I've thought about forever, because while I find it difficult to believe that God groups all people into two categories: Heaven or Hell, I also don't think you can get in to Heaven until you've accepted Jesus. Perhaps there's a waiting room (purgatory?) for those who are good, but confused people :)
Hmm...

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sound confused on all this too. i thought you were methodist, and if i'm not mistaken, methodists don't believe in purgatory.

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am confused - openly :)
I did grow up in a Methodist church, but I have a hard time reconciling my view of a loving God with the idea that our eternal resting (living?) place is figured in such a black and white manner. There are so many people out there who haven't had religious freedom and haven't heard the word of God. I have a hard time believing that God just turns his back on those people without any second chances whatsoever...
I have also attended a Baptist church, where it was driven into me that one must be baptized to go to Heaven. But I tend to disagree with that - How can a strictly symbolic act of man determine your soul's destination? That's such a simplistic view of Heaven and Hell. Too simplistic...
Any clarification on this matter and personal views here are welcome.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all exactly right. It has nothing to do with heaven or hell, one or the other. The answer is that each person has to follow their own path to god. if you spend your life doing good works in the name of jesus (or whoever you pray to) then you're going to be fine. We all make mistakes though, atone for your wrongs and be honest with yourself and the lord. Jesus helped us out by giving us his life on the cross, and god plans for those that don't acknowledge that gift by allowing the unbaptized, uninformed, those who commit crimes while not of sound mind, and those who have not confessed every single venial sin in their life (who can remember them all, honestly!) by creating a place (ie purgatory) to put us all on equal ground. You're right, our loving God has a plan for all of us, he won't just abandon us for little technicalities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home