Monday, September 26, 2005

Yippee!!!!

We're home! What a week we've had. Traffic was not nearly as bad coming in as it was going out, thank goodness. With just a few minor glitches (i.e. trouble coordinating our potty trips, one minor truck overheating incident, etc.), we actually made it back in about 7 hours. Our area wasn't hurt very badly - one neighbor and my grandparents had trees uprooted, there were a few fast food signs and street signs that had been blown away/over, and there was minor debris throughout our neighborhood. Nothing like we thought it would be. I was honestly not expecting to have a house to come back to, so it was very exciting that we didn't get any damage.
I've learned that traveling with cats is NO FUN! Mo finally got so sick of his cage that he learned to lay on his back and kick the roof while grabbing the cage door with his paws and teeth and shaking with all his might. I'm convinced he was trying to get Sasha on board for a cat riot in my car, but alas, Sasha's too mature for that. Plus, she was busy cursing my name from the back seat. She's still not acknowledging my presence...
Other than that and the traffic, the experience was not so bad. Our hotel was cool, and it was filled with people who were running from the hurricane, and who were evidently in the mood to party. The first night, they had a fish fry. The second, a barbecue. And the third night was poker night. My dad, being the social butterfly that he is, spent half of Saturday night playing poker. We met some really cool people, and had a good time. I think we made the law enforcement officials in Brownwood a bit nervous. They kept sending police cars to circle the hotel...those damn Gulf Coast people always stirring up trouble!!!
Brownwood was neat. It has everything you need in life: a mall, a movie theatre, a Schlotzsky's deli, a TCBY, Long John Silver's and an indoor, tropical themed sno-cone place. It actually had a lot more than just that, but everything else was just icing on the cake...I'd live there.
But yeah, it's good to be home. It's good to have a home! And my bed was heaven last night!

Oh, and also, I'd like to take this opportunity to curse Wal-Mart, who actually saw a community in need (my community) of water and other hurricane supplies, and took the opportunity as one in which to raise their prices of water to $10.97 per 24-pack of water. I'm sending them a death ray! And that just supports my theory that Wal-Mart is the spawn of satan, planning to take over the world, one vulnerable community at a time....

7 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Pheebs said...

it's my theory--have you seen Wal-Mart on a Saturday?? If Hell is subjective, then that is definitely my hell...

Very glad to hear that you made it home all right--and that there was a "home" waiting for you when you got back!!! That is exciting--maybe good things do happen to good people?...

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

I am so glad you and your family made it home safe and not stuck in traffic like before.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must find the heart of Wal-Mart and destroy it. I think it's located in the shoe department.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Death ray on the shoe department!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

They jacked up the price???!!! What assholes! You know, come to think of it, I never heard anything about them donating to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

I HATE WALMART!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know everybody's on a "hate wal-mart" kick, but they did in fact donate $17 million to Hurricane Katrina ($15mil to Bush/Clinton Fund, $1mil to Salvation Army and $1mil to Red Cross), in addition to donating about 2500 trailers worth of water and emergency supplies (about $3mil worth of merchandise) to affected areas and shelters, and they allowed evacuees to use 22 of their facilities free of charge while wal-mart footed the utility bill.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Wal-Mart did do all those things. Actually, I was under the impression that they donated more like 23 million dollars, which is great. And I'd be completely happy with that if they just hadn't doubled the price of their water in a time when we really needed it. For that, I'm pissed. And I'm boycotting them. Because it seems that they donated on a grand scale, giving them great P.R., and when they had the opportunity to make back some of the money they had given on the little people, in a manner that didn't hurt their overall image, they did just that. And that's wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home