Monday, September 05, 2005

Several of the people from my job have spent the last few days working with the hurricane survivors at the Astrodome. These are a few things about the entire experience that really touched me:
1) The relatively calm mood in the atmosphere there. With so many people packed so tightly into one place, I honestly expected total and complete chaos. But it's not like that at all. I was so happy to see people playing music and singing along, people napping on cots, people rocking and feeding their babies. It's so touching to see these people really trying to make the best of things, although I know they must be hurting so badly right now.
2) The striking differences in the Astrodome of old, where I went to watch baseball games, concerts and rodeos, versus the Astrodome of today, which is basically a life-saving shelter for so many of the victims who lost everything. Doesn't it make the concerts and sporting events seem so trivial now? And it really makes me realize what a difference a day/month/year can make.
3) The spirit of the people I've met. One of the ladies that I spoke to made me promise to go to New Orleans for the first post-Katrina Mardi Gras. There's not a doubt in her mind that they will rebuild that city bigger and better than it was before, and she's ready to welcome visitors back into her home town with open arms. She seemed to be strictly dealing with the present and not dwelling on it, but rather looking forward to the future. Amazing.

2 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

The whole thing does stop and make you think. We found out that my Grandparents are ok and their house is intact. they have no food,water,electricity or gas so my parents bought $200 worth of groceries, some gas and a generator and took it to them. STrange thing is...my grandparents didn't want to leave. Hmmmm.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

I didn't realize your grandparents had been affected by this...I'm so glad they're ok! What a horrible ordeal to go through...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home