Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Not The Mommy!

I found out yesterday that I may or may not be heading to Louisiana for the next few weeks/months through work to help out the offices whose workers are going to be out for awhile, dealing with hurricane issues and whatnot. I might not even have to go, but some of the workers are leaving as early as tomorrow or Friday, so I was warning my family about the situation last night, just so it won't be so much of a shock if I do have to leave.
Anyway, so my cousin calls last night, and I was like, "Well, I just found out..." And before I could even finish my sentence to tell her about possibly leaving, she cuts me off and shrieks excitedly, "You're pregnant, aren't you?!? YEEEE!!!" Ordinarily, I would just blow it off, but this is honest to God the fourth time she's done this to me in the past 6 months. WEIRDO. And it's such a story blaster when she does that, ya know? Because then I have to say, "No I'm not pregnant, but...blah blah blah." And every time, she sounds totally deflated and is like, "Oh, I thought you were going to say you were pregnant." Obviously! That's undoubtedly why you went supersonic just now!
It's so bizarre, because she didn't have a baby until she was 31, and now she's trying to pressure me into motherhood at 25. NO! I will not be swayed! Even in the face of your manic/depressive expressions of hope for a new baby in the family and then sadness because it's not happening. Somebody should let a sista know that you really shouldn't pressure people into major life-changing situations. You want a new baby, you have one yourself. I'll let you know when and if I choose to mother a child. I'm clearly not mommy material at this point...

4 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Pheebs said...

cheers to you for admitting it! Don't cave and join the masses of dysfunctional parents who convince themselves that they are ready for children, and then only produce unproductive members of society! cheers to courtney...hurrah!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement...We have to stand strong and stand together :)
Solidarity, Sister!!!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

What's really screwy is that I'm neither married nor in a long term relationship but I still have pressure from relatives to get pregnant. I mean...GIVE IT UP!!!!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Well...won't she feel like a schmuk when you really are pregnant and she ruins it for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home