Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aggie Ring

Last night, I lost my Aggie ring. I looked down at my ring finger on my right hand, and there was nothing there. NOTHING.
I searched the house. Nothing. I searched my car. Nothing. I checked my freezer for whatever reason. Nothing.
I called my husband - who's out of town this week - and of course began to freak out. Next to my wedding ring, that is the single most important piece of jewelry that I own.
Kevin, being the good husband that he is, tells me not to worry because he'll buy me a new one. And being irrational Courtney that I tend to be, I tell him thank you but that I don't want a new one. I want that one. I want the ring that I got when I was in college, the one that my parents bought for me when I was about to graduate, the one that I "earned" by dunking it into a pitcher of beer and drinking the pitcher along with several of my best friends. And just when I'm about to tear up, I see a glimmer of gold peeking out at me from under the bathroom rug. My Aggie ring!
How in the world my ring got wedged underneath the bathroom rug, I'll never know. but just like that, I was back to happy. And Kevin was given major brownie points for his generous offer to buy me another ring...

11 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Pheebs said...

It's like when Carrie lost her "Carrie" necklace and found it again! Hurray!!

why is it called the Aggie ring?

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Pheebs said...

P.S. you should totally try climbing!!! Soo addicting and way more fun than the usual cardio!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

I KNOW! That's exactly what I was thinking about the "Carrie" necklace.
The Aggie ring is my college ring - I went to Texas A&M University, and our mascot is the "Aggie" - when the school first started back in the 1800's, it was mainly an agricultural and mechanical school, so they called us "aggies."
There's your A&M history lesson for the day :)

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually should have read your comments first, but I googled the term Aggie ring to find out what you were talking about...lol!

I'm glad you found your ring :)


mindtwister

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

I was so scared for you right then. So very very scared.
Praise Jesus you found it!!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I had that happen to a necklace. You CAN'T buy a new one. It's not the same.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

LOL Berly - "praise Jesus!"

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I didn't know you were an Aggie...

I lost my Army ring several years ago and I know how you feel. I never replaces it because it just wouldn't be the same.

Glad you found it.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So "Material" we are these days. Really quite sad.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Anonymous:
I see on my blog tracker that you're from New Jersey, so we probably haven't met. Let me just tell you a few things about me so that you can better understand where I was coming from on this post. 1) The people who are most important to me in this life are my family and friends. 2)I'm probably the most sentimental person EVER and 3)I try to keep my blog as lighthearted as possible - strictly a source of entertainment.

I'd like you to understand that in losing my ring, I was hurt strictly because of the emotional ties that it carried (my parents buying it for me, having earned it as a result of my hard work at Texas A&M, it being a symbol of a bonding experience with my friends from college), not because I actually lost the ring itself. This is why I stated that "I don't want a new ring," if you'll remember from my blog post.

I don't tell you these things as an apology for my "materialism", but as a way for you to get a little more insight.

Being totally honest though - thanks for your comments and I hope you keep reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home