Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Commish

So it has been brought to my attention several hundred times over the past 4 years that I look very much like the Commissioner of Social Security, whose picture hangs on the wall in our lobby, next to those of President Bush and Vice President Cheney.
And at least once a week, I get asked the question, "Is that you on the wall out front?" And at least once a week, I answer, "No - not me. I wish it was. That's the commissioner of Social Security," (who, incidentally is bringing home probably 10 times what I make.)
So yesterday, this question was raised to a whole new level, when the people in the lobby - who didn't know each other at all - were talking amongst themselves, trying to figure out exactly what I had done to get my picture on the wall.
I overheard one of them say, "I'll bet she's just the employee of the month or something. No way somebody that important would be working at a government office."
I wanted to shout out, "I CAN HEAR YOU!!!"
But instead, my non-important self just smiled and called the next number.
Man, my job is rewarding...

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Pheebs said...

that's...hilarious. You should let them think that it's you. And if you wanted to, you could speed up their wait times...but since you aren't that important, you don't have the power to do that afterall...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home