Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oprah!

As you can probably tell from the title of this post, I watched Oprah today. (As an aside, one of my favorite things about my new job is that I'm home in time to watch OPRAH most of the time!!!)
Anyway, the topic was happiness. And it was such a simple and universal theme that it amazed me.
Basically, the therapist talked about what he called "destination addiction" - being so addicted to focusing on where you want to be that you forget to notice where you are. It's a continuous cycle - you set a goal, focus so much on reaching it because you think that when you do, you'll be happy, finally reach that goal, realize that happiness wasn't found in reaching the goal, set another goal that you think will make you happy, focus so much on reaching it that you forget to be content/happy with where you are...and so on, and so on...
(Doesn't that remind you of that anti-drug commercial: "So I can work longer, so I can earn more, so I can do more coke...so I can work longer, so I can earn more...")
He also called it "living in the not-now."

But he said the most obvious and profound thing: that happiness is within us, and the further away from ourselves we go to seek out happiness, the further we are away from our own happiness.

Anyway - that was extremely random (hence, the title of my blog), but I found it inspiring and wanted to share.

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger MARFSBABY said...

Such a simple concept happiness is huh? It's hard to understand why so many people aren't then.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I agree with the topic. I actually just used that information with someone and I hadn't even read your post yet. It's so good to hear that someone has the same opinion on that situation. Just someone saying that to me a few years ago changed my outlook on life and I am a happier person for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home