Saturday, September 13, 2008

Looking Forward to Looking Back

This is definitely one of those moments where I wish I could just fast forward a few weeks/months to a time where things are back to "normal." Or maybe just to a place where a new normal feels ok.
Tomorrow morning, Kevin and I will head back home. Home. Nothing feels better than just being at home, but I'm so nervous about going back and seeing first-hand all the destruction that I've been watching on the news. Things right now seem surreal, and I'm ok with that. I'm not looking forward to the moment where they actually become real.
The last evacuation experience was so different. In and of itself, it was awful. Traffic was horrible, gas was scarce, and it was not fun at all, but the end result was so different than this time. Rita turned at the last minute and missed us. Not that I ever wish storms on anyone, but obviously you never want your hometown to be destroyed. This time was totally different. This time, I watched the Weather Channel broadcast live from my office building, and we saw the flooding and the debris. So I already know that the end result is going to be much different than last time.
I'm thankful for so many things: that my family is safe, that my property suffered minimal damage, and that I have a job (though not an office) to return to. I've been really blessed. But at the same time, I'm sad. I'm sad for the people who lost everything, for those who are still looking for loved ones, and for those who are risking their lives to save others. I'm even sad for Galveston Island itself. Sure, it's never been an exotic vacation destination, but it is cool. The island has its own vibe, and I have really taken for granted the fact that I can drive 15 minutes down the road and be at the beach...
I think I'm soaking up the technology right now. Obviously, we'll be without internet/phones/cable for awhile, but I definitely will post again when I can.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you guys and your house made it through the storm ok. We got a few branches on the house but nothing major

 

Post a Comment

<< Home