Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Getting Back

So we're home. Cable's restored, electricity's on, telephones are sketchy but mostly in service. We now share a back yard with our neighbors because the fence that separates our yards got torn down, but I feel blessed to have a home. Though our community's not exactly pretty right now, things are slowly getting back to normal. Taco Bell even opened up today with a limited menu. Anybody who knows me knows how excited this makes me!!
I'm trying to avoid gas stations and grocery stores, since there's a definite wait to get inside these places. Thank goodness I brought home enough groceries to live through Armageddon. Perhaps I'll even cook a meal or two. Livin' on the wild side, you know.
Kevin's already back at work, and I'm waiting to hear about my job and when/where I'll have to go back. I definitely won't be going back to Galveston for awhile...
Tomorrow will be my seventh day off, although it seems much shorter than that since the entire evacuation experience seemed like one really long, really crappy day. Thank God that part's over with.
Please keep the people in Galveston/Bolivar in your prayers. It definitely doesn't look good there. Health conditions are horrible since they have no water, food, electricity, or sewer and the newspaper said a man actually got airlifted off the island with one THOUSAND mosquito bites. That can't be good...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home