Friday, July 29, 2005

Fireman Kev...Revisited

Kevin got called out to fight his first fire last night.
He's on the fire squad for the plant where he works, and anytime there's an explosion at any of the surrounding plants, he gets called out to help fight the fire.
He has this massive pager (it's seriously as big as a brick, so I laugh at him for it) that he has to carry with him at all times. So last night, as I was cooking dinner, we heard this high-pitched alarm going off in the dining room. I honestly didn't know what it was so I automatically freaked out, thinking I had set something on fire in the kitchen. We checked all the fire alarms in the house before it dawned on us that the brick was sounding off. There was another explosion at BP Amoco, and although nobody had been hurt (Thank God!), Kevin and the rest of the ISP fire squad had to go out to the plant to help relieve the BP fire squad.
I learned that I tend to turn into a clean freak when I'm stressed. From the time that Kevin left at 6:30 to the time he got home early this morning, I made pasta salad, four layer dip, and brownies, and I cleaned bathrooms, swept, vacuumed, and mopped floors, de-fuzzed furniture, and did laundry.
On top of that, I learned just how neat our family and friends are. My entire family - Mom, Dad, Craig and Felicia - came and stayed at my house to keep me company because they know how freaked out I get about Kevin fighting fires. And I got several telephone calls throughout the night from Tracy, whose husband was also out at the plant with Kevin, to keep me up to date on what she had heard, and from Jay (Kevin's best friend), to make sure that Kevin was o.k. and to reassure me that things would be alright.
Kevin and I are so lucky to have such awesome people surrounding us!
And everything turned out o.k. Nobody was hurt, and the fire was out by 3:00 this morning, so that's a relief...

2 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

I couldn't handle the stress ladie.
Such a brave woman.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Whatever - I'm so not brave. I get scared over every little thing...one of the main reasons that Kevin got out of the military was because he didn't want me to be scared all the time, which I would have been...
But thanks for your comment, Berle - you know I love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home