Monday, December 12, 2005

The Cutting Edge

Ice Skating in Texas. Sounds like an oxymoron, right?
Let me tell you, it's not pretty.
Saturday, Kevin and I went with some friends of our to this make-shift ice rink down in Galveston to try our luck at sub-zero skating. This was Kevin's first go on the ice, so we knew it wouldn't be pretty. But I have to give him props - he wasn't half bad.
Though at times, he looked more like he was walking, he never ventured too far from the wall, and he never lowered his arms, which remained constantly at a shoulder-length 90 degree angle to his torso.
But hey, he was trying.
And he provided us with entertainment for several hours.
At one point, Kevin came so close to busting it that I thought it was over. But he was dead set on not giving in to gravity. So he started waving his arms frantically and doing the cartoon run with his feet, trying to reposition them underneath his body. After probably 7 seconds of leaning left, then right, giving the serious scowl of concentration, and semi-running, he seemed to be back under control. I couldn't help it - I wanted to laugh. And as Kevin leaned over to me and sheepishly claimed, "toe pick" (the famous line from the movie The Cutting Edge), I started cracking up. And then I almost fell from laughing so hard. Kharma's a bitch.

8 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Co, you and Kevin are my inspiration!. y'all always do fun stuff. I would have paid money to see Kevin ice skate.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Thanks, Amy :)
It would have been money well spent. He was so funny to watch.
He actually seemed to like it though, so we might try to go back sometime soon.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I remember going ice skating at the Gallaria Mall at Christmas time with my friends when I was a kid. I loved the huge tree that the always put up in the ice rink every year. I haven't done that in years. The last time I went it was about $14 or $15 a person so I would have to really want to do it. Maybe when my kids get a little older though.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I was a little nervous about possibly busting my head on the ground, but it wasn't so bad. Glad I could be a source of entertainment for you.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger berly02 said...

I so would have paid for a video of that moment.
Picturing him just isn't the same.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

That was a good movie! I only tried ice skating once...I was so terrible. I was getting pissed b/c all of these little 6 and 7 year old kids were whizzing past me and I was holding onto the rail.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I haven't ice skated since I was about 12 or 13...

Lot's of fun if you're good at it. If not, at least you're good entertainment for those around you!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Pheebs said...

hahahhaah! Usually things like that aren't funny unless you're there but that picture you paint is perfect...nothing's funnier than watching someone try to keep their balance on the ice...

...which is why I never skate! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home