Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grit Your Teeth and Smile

Wow - so yesterday, I was sitting outside talking to my neighbors, Jason and Valerie, and their parents (who live in Galveston and may or may not have a home), when Jason's mom asks me out of the blue: "Courtney, you're not a liberal are you?" I was caught off guard, because we were not at all talking politics, but I answered, "Well, I'm actually more independent, but I am more liberal than conservative." And she follows with, "Oh, well it's just because you don't know any better. All liberals are only that way because they don't know any better. Liberals are nothing but communists. Don't you dare vote for Barack. He's a communist."
"Umm - o.k."
That was my response. Because the last thing I wanted to do was to get into a political debate with the lady who may have just lost everything. But that was rude, right? I mean, fine if you want to talk about politics. Great if you want to give me your point of view. I'm ok with that, because I don't believe that everybody has to feel the way I feel. We each get a vote, and you should vote the way you feel you need to. But to straight up tell me that I just don't know what I'm talking about? To call me a communist? Well that's just un-called for, biotch.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger The Shib said...

What?
What just happened here?
Are you in alternate universe where this is acceptable behaviour?

I hate people that bring up politics.
Everyone turns into such an asshole.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

That sucks. I think it's just everyone going insane from the hurricane. Some people just cannot hold their shit together when times get tough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home