Sunday, April 17, 2005

Love Thy Husband

What a bizarre night we had last night. Kevin signed us up for some marriage class through his friend's church, so we spent the night getting yelled at that we don't love each other enough and that we have to love our spouses like Jesus loved the church. It was such a bummer because the class sounded like it was going to be really cool and productive. I love reading and hearing about God, but I do not enjoy getting yelled at and made to feel that I'm some scum bag that's a disgrace to the church. And I don't know why or how it started, but halfway through the evening, it became apparent that the preacher was seeking validation from the congregation by finishing his sentences with "Amen?" to which everybody responded, "AMEN!" So the whole night was pretty much like, "You gotta love your wife more than you love yourself. Amen?" "AMEN!" At one point, about 3 hours in to the lecture, I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience when I could no longer decipher the words that were coming out of the preacher's mouth. It was like, "wah wah wah wah...Amen?AMEN!" I seriously can't think of anything I want to do less than to sit and get yelled at for 3 1/2 hours straight. Amen?