Sunday, August 07, 2005

Lucille Ball Goes To Camp

Where to start on the camping trip? It was so much fun: we did all of your regular camping things - playing cards, going hiking, cooking food, hanging out, etc. There was a storm on Friday that we rode out in Kimberly's car, while eating chips and dip and sending S.O.S. text messages to Lisa. Good times.
Then, on Saturday, after going on the longest nature walk EVER, Kimberly, Allan, Kevin and I went to "swim" in the lake while waiting for Shana to show up (we ended up sitting by the lake, watching the water for about 45 minutes, but whatever.) So anyway, everybody's sitting down with their feet in the water, and I'm holding my cell phone because I've just gotten off the phone with Shana. I sit my cell phone on the ground next to me, antenna facing the lake, when all of a sudden I'm very aware of a troop of ants charging toward me. I turn around and put my hand down on the ground to push myself up and out of harm's way, and when I do, my hand comes down on the phone's antenna, effectively FLIPPING the cell phone in to the air and toward the lake. At this point, life is in slow motion. Kimberly and I are watching this play out, but there's nothing we can do about it. I want to scream, I want to reach out and grab my cell phone before it hits the water, I want to do anything but sit there like an idiot and watch my cell phone drown. But no, my body refuses to move. Not even a twitch. And instead, I sit there and watch my phone fall into the lake, bubble a few times, and sink like the Titanic. Nice. There goes my new $200 phone that I didn't buy insurance on, because "I've never lost a phone before..."
So you would think the story ends there, right? Sad Courtney goes back to camp crying?
Nope.
Because out of nowhere, random German diver shows up and says, "Excuse me, but did you lose something in the lake?" (The man was like a German Angel sent from Heaven above.)
"Why yes I did," says Courtney
"I'm a scuba diver and I'm actually about to go into the lake on a diving excursion," says random German diver, "Let me see if I can find your phone." (Ok, those weren't his exact words, but his accent was thick, and I don't know what he said exactly, so you get the point.)
So long story short, random German diver (who had with him his German Shepherd, by the way, that provided us entertainment while we waited) becomes random German HERO, retrieves my phone from the depths of the alligator den, and emerges from the lake a cell-phone finding victor. I love that man!!! He even let me take a picture of him to be posted to my blog as soon as I get my pictures developed and put onto a c.d.
And the best part is that my phone is drying out and showing signs of working again. It's currently charging, and the screen is lighting up. Cross your fingers for me, and I'll be in contact in about 3-5 days, after my cell phone has dried out (hopefully)...

2 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay you're being a little wierd about your phone... such a silly ladie

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Pheebs said...

I think I read somewhere that you're actually supposed to wait until it's dried out completely to turn it back on...or it actually messes it up?? Don't quote me on that though...

I understand that cell-phone angst--mine is like my oxygen! Hope it works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home