Monday, August 08, 2005

One "L" in Alan, Evidently

My most sincere apologies to ALAN, whose name I mispelled yesterday. My bad :)
In my defense, Alan is one of those names that's tricky. It could easily be Allen, Alan, Allan, Alen (ok, so that's a stretch, but you get the picture.)
During college, I remember when Amy wanted to change the spelling of her name to Amee. She thought it was cuter that way and she totally expected us to honor her request for a spell change out of the blue. Instead, I started pronouncing her name phonetically. Ay-My. That stuck and I call her Ay-My to this day.
Growing up, I always wished that my parents had spelled my name "K-O-R-T-N-I." It's very Barbie, don't you think? Which is completely the opposite of me, so thanks to Mom and Dad for not giving me the cutesie spelling.
My cousins, Stacie and Lori, named their respective daughters Baylie and Krystin. Cute spellings. Fat chance of ever having a coffee mug with the correctly spelled name pre-printed on it. No "Krystin Avenue" or "Baylie Road" signs for their rooms. Random thought.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger The Shib said...

To spell Courtney as Kortni is the most ridiculous thing ever Co. Ever in life.

People would have misspelled your name everyday and then youd like---damn why cant they ever spell my name right?!

At least you didnt get stuck with your name being a tribute to the king of hip swing.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

I didnt say it was practical, Shibbie :) I said it was cute. But again, thanks to my parents for spelling my name in a normal manner - I rather enjoyed my "Courtney Street" sign in my bedroom growing up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home