Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Slave For P.C.

This morning, I was thinking about pop culture and how much it shapes us. My language changes monthly, depending on the movies I've seen. After I saw Napoleon Dynamite, I was walking around saying, "Eat your casserole, Tina. GOHH," for weeks.
Some movies shape us for years. I saw "Sweet Home Alabama" with Lisa and Allison over 2 years ago, and still we're saying, "Why you make me be mean to you?" Lisa used that exact language on a voice mail that she left me just yesterday. It's a classic line, and one that I use on Kevin whenever he irritates me.
During the Friends era, I would send Friends Quotes of the Day to my friends via email. And never in my life have I ever said, "I KNOW!" and "We Were on a Break" so much as I did during that time.
I'm such a slave to pop culture, it's not even funny.

6 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger The Shib said...

Yeah we all are but for the love Courtney--please dont start talking like the kids on Laguna Beach. We can be friends after that.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Pheebs said...

I hear ya!! My roommate and I have such a severe obsession with Sex and the City and quote it so often that people often don't understand us when they hear us talking...how can something that's so right be soo wrong...

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

If it weren't for the quotes, no one would think me funny.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

First of all, I'd still think you funny, Kimberly :)
Second (Shibbie), I don't have the funds to substantiate the Laguna Beach vocabulary. No need for words like, "Gucci," "Fendi," or "BMW" in my overly simplified life!
And Pheebs, I'm actually watching Sex and the City right now. It might be the best show ever. So good call on quoting SATC :)

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad asked my opinion on something today and I actually said "Why do you want to know my opinion? It's moo...like a cow's opinion...it just...doesn't matter....it's moo."

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

Awesome! Several years later, we're still doing it!!! And it's still funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home