Sunday, November 06, 2005

...But Still A Little Like A Kid

As an afterthought to my last post about being an adult, I'd like to add that I believe myself to be more child-like than most kids, which may or may not be incredibly sad, being that I'm 25 years old (???). This weekend, for instance, Kevin and I spent Friday night roasting marshmallows in our back yard, and Saturday night with Jeff and Tracy on their trampoline. And I'm not talking about just jumping a little bit and then heading back inside - nope, it was a solid three-hour block of time spent doing flips (OK, somersaults in my case...), playing crack the egg and double bouncing each other. Keep in mind that Kevin's not a small man, so when it was my turn to be the "egg," my butt was flying through the air.
I'm also thinking that I must have had an incident of some sort on a trampoline when I was little, because I have a bizarre mental block on doing flips. So as entertaining as Kevin was with his graceful front flips (he busted it 11 consecutive times), I think I might have been even more so with going through the different stages of psyching myself up to do a flip, breathing evenly to control my thoughts and to envision myself landing in a manner that didn't force me to visit the emergency room, throwing my hands in front of me to get my momentum going, and then at the last minute freaking out and pulling out of it, opting to do a somersault instead. We must have gone through this 7 or 8 times throughout the night. When did I become such a pansy? The Courtney of old would have flipped first and worried about emergency room after I heard the snapping bone...
I guess this is where the "being an adult" comes in to play. Whereas before, my only worry was the actual snapping of the bone, I now have to worry about dealing with insurance companies and paying co-pays and deductibles, etc. Adulthood sucks the fun right out of being a kid...

4 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I know what you mean. I used to not be afraid of anything. Still if you could jump on a trampoline for three hours strait, you are doing alot better than me. I think I could have only lasted 30 min. at the most.

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

Adulthood does suck the fun out of being a kid. And a lot of other things as well. I can't think of them right now. But they are there!

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Why I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes anymore. I realized around 28 that I was:

1) not invincible

2) Pain didn't go away as fast anymore

3) My threshold to pain was a shitload lowe that it used to be...

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See Co... the same exact thing happened at Astroworld on the bungee flippy swingy thing. You hesitated...you second guessed. And what happened? You looked like an ass and landed on your head. Be confident in your front flipping endeavors, young Co, and annihilate the competition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home