Friday, November 11, 2005

High Fashion My Ass

I attended a jewelry party at my neighbor's house tonight. What a waste of time and money. The party itself wasn't bad, but it's not exactly my idea of a fun way to spend a Friday night.
A precious, precious Friday night...
But anyway, turns out there are unwritten rules and codes of conduct for this type of event. It's really more a shower in disguise than anything else. About halfway through the evening, my cousin turns to me and shows me this pin that she "likes." The thing was about three inches in diameter and covered in multi-colored jewels. It was the tackiest piece of jewelry I've ever laid my eyes on, and try as I might, I was unable to see anything pretty about it. Before I could stop myself, (and because I didn't realize anybody was in ear shot of me) I blurted out, "What a hunk of crap." As my cousin and I burst out into fits of giggles, I could see the jewelry lady pursing her lips and shaking her head ever-so-slightly. Evidently, I had broken the golden rule of jewelry parties and called one of the pieces ugly. My thought: don't sell hunks of crap for $50 a pop and I won't have to call you on it.

5 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

It's time like these I'm sooooo damn glad I'm a guy...

Give me a Home Depot hardware department any day...

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I hate those kind of parties where they expect you to get something if you go, and not just something cheap but something expensive. Like those pampered shef parties. I like some the stuff but there is too much pressure to buy something that you don't need.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I got invited to one of those damn things. i took one look at the brochure and told the girl I already had plans. It was all so gaudy! It looked like costume jewelry.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger berly02 said...

Was it a Premier Jewelry party??? I went to one. I liked a couple of things. But they were horrendously expensive.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Maybe you should put yourself off limits to those kinds of parties from now own...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home