Sunday, February 25, 2007

Move 'em up, Hit 'em up!

It's that time of year again: all over the Houston area there's a run on the tobacco supply, a shortage of Justin cowboy boots, and if you listen closely, you can almost hear the collective "SWWWUTT" sound from the girls in the area sucking in their tummies while trying to zip up their way-too-tight jeans.
What does it all mean?
Why it's Houston Rodeo time, that's what it means!

Every year at this time, I am reminded of the Houston Rodeo writing internship that my best friend and I worked during my senior year at Texas A&M. I can remember sitting in the stands of the AstroArena, going over our stories with our editor, Dr. Starr, who also happened to be our Media Writing professor at Texas A&M.

Let me pause for a moment to give you a little background on Dr. Starr:
1) He's the best writer I've ever met
2) He's the most straightforward person ever in life
3) He's inspiring, funny and amazing
4) He's an ASS! But I love him anyway

So as we're sitting there, Lisa makes that comment that she evidently can't write as well as she thought she could.
Dr. Starr responds: "Nonsense. Why would you say you can't write?"
Lisa looks right at him and says, "Well for starters, you wrote "Poo" on my last paper in big red letters."
Dr. Starr pauses, thinks for a moment and finally says, "Well, then you must not be able to write."

You gotta love him.
As an aside, Lisa can write. She's an awesome writer, so he totally had it wrong. But still, you gotta love him...

3 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Drywall Mom said...

I'm going to see ZZ Top at the Rodeo. I can't wait.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger berly02 said...

He wrote poo on my paper as well!
I was terrified of him.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Courtney O. said...

No worries, Berle :) I'm sure everybody got a "POO" at some time or another. The man thrived on things like that! Thank goodness I had Kelly Brown for my lab, so I never had to experience the blood-red letters atop my stories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home