Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Three Me's

Last week, in honor of Black History Month, our office had a diversity training session.
The lady who came to talk to us was really cool - very open. And she made our office into an environment that was open and welcoming to different ideas and opinions. Inspiring.
One of the things that she talked about was the fact that each person actually has three people at work within them:
1) the person that you put forth and allow others to see
2) the person that you want to be
3) the person that you actually are

#1 is ever-changing. The person that you put forth can change, depending on the group of people that surround you. And as much as I hate the thought of this, it's a true statement. I think about the different groups in my life: family, college friends, work friends, church friends. I get around my family and my close friends and #1 and #3 collide. I'm a goofball. I make up silly dances, sing as loud and as off-key as I can, say the silliest things and then laugh at myself for being naive. I like this person. I have fun being this person.
I get around people that I don't know very well, and #1 and #2 collide. I'm so much more reserved. I hold back negative comments and guard myself so much, being much more idealistic and putting forth only what I want people to know about me. I don't mean to be false or fake - and actually I don't feel like I am being fake - It's just not as easy to put yourself out there when you don't know whether or not you'll be judged for your actions.
Anyway, this was just a new idea for me, and although I've never given much thought to this concept before, it makes so much sense when you think about it.
I think my new goal for my own personal development is to get to a point where the person who I am, the person who I want to be and the person who I put forth for the world to see all become one.
I wonder if that's realistic...

2 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger berly02 said...

I don't even know what my # 3 is. I am always to worried about putting forth something everyone will accept.
How sad is that!
:)

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I think for the most part I'm a good combination of all three. I"ve had to learn the hard way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home